Kim Wendland is co-founder and Director of Asset Management at Quattro Capital. Kim has always had an entrepreneurial spirit, but she credits her real estate success to the influence of 4 women!
Who has played a role in influencing your career choices?
Dolly, Helen, Carol, and Retha – 4 women who helped shape Kim’s transition into Real Estate.
Dolly was in her late 70’s and flipping houses. Helen spent her life accumulating farms and land which eventually turned into millions of dollars. Carol borrowed money from her father to buy her first rental property, eventually amassing over 100 single family homes. Retha purchased and took over many of Carol’s properties upon her death. These women and their determination to own property in various ways impacted Kim’s thinking and helped change her trajectory. In life, it is not only the things we choose but also the people we surround ourselves with who help us to choose.
Who is that person for you??
Kim’s entrepreneurial spirit
- Kim talks about having an entrepreneurial spirit from an early age.
- She shares her initial interest in technology and how she pursued a career in IT.
- Emphasizes the importance of problem-solving and being part of technological advancements.
Embracing fear and taking action.
- Atara and Kim discuss the mindset of entrepreneurs and their ability to navigate uncertainty.
- Kim highlights the superpower of women in nurturing relationships but also acknowledges the tendency to be cautious.
- Encourages women to accept their own power, face fears, and take courageous steps forward.
Expanding possibilities beyond traditional paths
- Atara and Kim discuss the idea of women exploring opportunities beyond their trained professions.
- Kim mentions her regret of not investing in real estate earlier and encourages others to be open to new ideas and gain confidence to explore them.
Kim’s transition from IT to real estate
- Kim describes her discontent with her IT career despite its apparent success.
- Reflects on the toll it took on her physical, mental, and emotional health.
- Mentions four women in her life who inspired her to explore real estate: Dolly, Helen, Carol, and Aretha.
- Kim shares how she met Dolly, an elderly woman who was involved in real estate investing.
- Describes Dolly’s creative approach to flipping houses and her thrifty mindset.
Helen and La Van’s story
- Kim talks about her husband’s aunt and uncle, Helen and La Van.
- Describes their simple lifestyle and their realization of the value of land for generational wealth.
- Highlights the importance of having assets for financial progress.
Carol’s success in real estate
- Kim discusses Carol, a special education teacher who acquired over a hundred single-family rentals.
- Mentions Carol’s strategy of borrowing money to buy properties and liquidating them for additional income during retirement.
Entrepreneur Mindset and Permission to Be an Entrepreneur
- Atara shares her experience of never having a real job and feeling like there was something wrong with her.
- Discussion on being wired as an entrepreneur and the different mindset it requires.
- Permission to embrace being an entrepreneur and not working for someone else.
Investing and Entrepreneurship
- Kim talks about the possibility of investing and doubling investments every five years.
- Importance of investing and entrepreneurship as paths to financial growth.
Starting Quatro Capital
- Kim explains that her husband is not involved in the business and how Quatro Capital was founded.
- Inspired by a conference and meeting a successful real estate investor, Erin Hudson.
- Erin’s philanthropic goals and how it resonated with Kim and Maurice.
- The four pillars of Quatro Capital: people, property, profits, and philanthropy.
- The growth of Quatro Capital and its success built on values rather than just money.
Meaningful Conversations and Purpose in Real Estate
- Atara discusses her desire to have meaningful conversations in the real estate industry.
- Importance of understanding the purpose and meaning behind one’s actions.
- Acknowledgment of the connection between Kim’s story and the pursuit of meaningful goals.
Investing in Today’s Market
- Atara asks Kim about investing in a market with rising interest rates and uncertainty.
- Kim emphasizes real estate as a long-term investment and the importance of risk management.
- The impact of trillions of dollars injected into the economy by the Fed.
- The need to manage risk with rate cap insurance and conservative underwriting.
- Kim shares Quatro Capital’s experience of acquiring fewer but larger properties in 2022.
Kim’s Greatest Accomplishment
- Atara refers to an interview where Kim was asked about her greatest accomplishment.
- Kim reveals that her marriage is her greatest accomplishment.
- Kim describes her husband’s intelligence, kindness, and humility.
- The unexpected blessing of marrying an amazing person.
Connect with Kim
Connect with Atara Twersky!
About Atara Twersky
Atara Twersky, is a real estate owner, sponsor and syndicator. She is principal and founder at Ascendo Capital LLC. Atara is also an attorney in NYC and the bestselling author of the children’s book series, Curlee Girlee, inspired by her own young curly-haired daughter Atara is the host of a popular Real Estate podcast to help women understand their Real Estate Investments options so they can be informed investors. For more information on Real Estate investment listen to Atara’s podcast Bridging the Gap: Real Estate for Women.
Help Us Out!